The diary of a nature photographer (part II of II)

Last Wednesday I was sitting behind my desk at work when I heard the weather forecast on the radio. After a long spell of dark and cloudy weather we were finally going to get some clear skies and warm Spring days. I decided to take the next two days off from work and spent it in the great outdoors with my camera. The report of day 1 can be found in my previous post.

Day 2

Just as day 1, day 2 started at 5.45am but this time with John Mayer and his Heartbreak Warfare. A nice way to start off the day. I decided to try my luck again at the forest of day 1. I set off on my bike and arrived close to 7am, made my way into the forest, nervously looking out for wild boar and put up my hide. The story of day 2 is going to be a little bit shorter than of day 1 because basically nothing happened the entire morning. No deer or wild boar today. Unfortunately this is an integral part of nature photography. Patience and perseverance… (I was able to level up some Angry Birds levels though :p ).

Back home again. I was planning to have another go at the snowdrops when I suddenly saw a frog in my pond. It had already laid eggs in the water and I was able to get close enough for some nice portrait shots.

(D300, Sigma 150mm F2.8, F5.6, ISO 200, 1/125sec)

While I was taking photographs of the frog I suddenly heard the distinctive sound of 2 Tong-tailed Tits (I’m not kidding, they’re really called Tits…). I immediately remembered the pair of Tits that made a nest in my garden last year. These little fur balls with long tails are really cute so I decided to run after them to see where they might be building their love shack. Sure enough, they were at it again this year. The female, or at least I assumed it was the female for obvious reasons, selected a nice yew bush (taxus) next to the driveway.

long tailed tit
(D300, 500mm F4 VR, ISO 250, 1/1000sec, F4, handhold / had to be fast hence the weird settings).
I decided to help them out a bit by putting some stylish, soft nest building stuff next to the building site.

The bird below is a Blue Tit (family of the other Tit):
blue tit
(D300, 500mm F4 VR, ISO 250, F5.6, 1/250sec, tripod)

I was also (fairly) successful with the snowdrops this time. I used the flash to fill in the background a bit. If I hadn’t used the flash, the background would have been much darker and not as appealing.
snow drop
(D300, Sigma 150mm f2.8, F3, ISO 250, 1/1000sec)

That is it for day 2. The rest of the day was spend enjoying the nice sunny weather and chilling a bit.

Day 3
Started at 9.30am (… I had to recover from days 1 and 2 :p). It was going to be a cloudy day so there wasn’t much to do photography wise (also I thought..). One of the important aspects of nature photography that often goes overlooked are being outside and scouting the territory for nice scenery or wild life. In nature photography you often need to be at the right place at the right time, hence the scouting for possibilities. Anyways.. I was going out for a walk (I always take my camera with me, you never know..) when I heard something in an old corn field. I looked over to find a gorgeous male pheasant having lunch on the left over corn. Something was off since I was able to come quite close without the pheasant screaming and flying off in the opposite direction. I put one and two together and concluded that this had to be a fairly tame pheasant that was bred and set free by local hunters. That would also explain the lack of pheasants during the winter when the hunters catch the wild ones, use them for breeding, bring up the chicks and set them free again to murder them later on in the year (preferably Christmas, a joyful season for all, except if you’re a pheasant). This breeding is highly illegal but those scumbags don’t give a sh*t since there is no one there to check that hunters follow the rules. Anyways.. back to my specific pheasant:

(D300, 500mm F4 VR, ISO 400, 1/60sec, F6.3, handholding)

Day 4:
The last day was spent selecting and processing the best shots, writing this story, updating my blog and website, and cleaning up the camera gear.

So… long story… but fun to write. Hope you found it interesting to read.

Until next time!


5 responses to “The diary of a nature photographer (part II of II)

  1. Hi Luuk,
    Enjoyed your view of image….One information would much help novice like me that technical information next to image(like…F stop, shutter speed, ISO.. or what gear you use). I know nothing can replicate this geogious image but at least give new comers a hint how to get simillier shots…Many thanks in advance…

  2. Hi,

    as far as I can tell it’s not a toad but a “common frog” that you fotographed so nicely in the water. usefull tip to use the flash for the background!

  3. Wonderful article post on the blog bro. This particular is just a tremendously nicely structured blog post, just the data I was looking just for. Thank you

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s